- We’re quickly approaching the day when we will discover what Baby’s name will be. I can’t wait to be able to start referring to the child by name! Which got me thinking. Pretty much everyone else I know comes up with some cutsie nickname for their pre-born offspring pre-Naming Day. I’ve heard everything from Turtle to Cheeseburger. Nothing ever “appeared” to me like that. Just always been “Baby.” Is that weird?
- Body Butter Belly Lotion stuff
Seems so extravagant, considering the numerous bottles of regular lotion I have filling my bathrooms. But I feel it calling me.
- I can really feel my uterus now. Like, I was laying in bed the other day, and suddenly it was like, “Whoa, that’s what I’ve been looking for.” So crazy. So, so crazy.
- I’m getting used to actually looking pregnant, to other people. To myself, in the mirror, I just look kinda bloaty. But then I take a picture and suddenly, “Yeah, that’s a baby”:
Yeah, that’s a selfie in a bathroom. Don’t judge.
And at the risk of sounding like I’m complaining (which I’m not, not at all) it’s pretty bizarre to look in the mirror, and not recognize yourself. Doesn’t hit every time, but once in a while it does stop me in my tracks. And I know I’ve got a long way to go, but yet another random aspect of baby-making no one really tells you about.
- Speaking of, got my Belly Band, was it last week? I freaking love this thing! So much so that I’ve already bought a second one. Shoot, I may just add this to my regular wardrobe. Maybe I have a long torso, but I always feel like I’m tugging tops down over my belt, even just regular not-pregnant me. Belly Band FTW.
- Now I’m complaining: Last week we found out that the Army hospital wouldn’t schedule my anatomy scan (gender scan) until February 20th. I’ll be basically 22 Weeks at that point. I thought my head was going to explode. COB (Complicated OB, the department for special snowflakes and in charge of my case) said I could go in as early as 18. Oh, contributing factor: I’m doing a gender reveal party. Several people who are very important to me here at Ft. Bliss will be PCSing long before even a baby shower, and I want to be able to share part of this whole experience with them. Also, I just want a fun party. Also, I’ve been wanting a gender reveal party every since I found out what they are.
Side note: careful when you google “Gender Reveal Parties.” There’s, like, a lot of hate for them out there. I won’t go into the psychology behind thinking you can celebrate new human life “too much,” but it’s a sad commentary on Western Society, that our callousness towards conditions like infertility is such that we can consider celebrating a successful pregnancy and healthy developing human being as something to ridicule. Oops, I guess I did.
Anyway. Luckily A) I have a COB appointment – as it happens – on Week 18, and it could likely include a growth scan, and I’m hoping if we ask really nicely they’ll let us have a sneak peek at Baby’s best-kept-secret. If not, I also found a tech school here that gives free gender ultrasounds. I’m so impatient, I can hardly stand it. We both are. If we have to wait another month, of course, we’ll live. But we don’t want to if we don’t have to.
- I think that’s everything. Oh, we got the crib in this week. (!!!) It’s really real!!!